BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not hungry"

That is a quote from the amazing Michael Pollan. I believe it, but, reality is a different story. This new lifestyle takes a lot more thinking and planning than I am used to. I plan not only every meal but everything piece of food that goes into my mouth. I have adapted a new lifestyle of planning more in general. I plan my days to not only get housework, school work and mama work done but also to make meals and exercise.
I have been pre making hummus and salads to go in the fridge that I can easily grab and eat. Here is a wonderful recipe for a chili that I made today (I made it with seitan but it can be made with anything you want in it's place)

Vegan Chili Supreme-
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-1 large onion chopped (2 cups)
-6 gloves of garlic minced
-1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce (minced)
-8 oz of baby bella mushrooms (or any of your choice) finely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
-2 8oz packages of seitan chopped (3 cups)
-3 tablespoons tomato paste
-2 teaspoons smoked paprika (important)
-2 teaspoons dried oregano
-1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
-1/4 teaspoon celery salt
-3 15 oz cans of chili beans (I used 1 cup of each of the following: black beans, pinto beans and kidney beans)
-1 cup chopped carrots (2-3 large carrots)
-2 or 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

On medium high heat in a large deep bowl:
-Add onion and saute until they begin to brown (7-10 mins)
-Add garlic and chipotle chili. Stirring for one minute
Stir in mushrooms (cook 3-4 mins or until softened)

Add:
-seitan
-tomato paste
-smoked paprika
-oregano
-chili powder
-celery salt
-1 cup of water. Cook 3-4 mintutes, stirring ocassionally

Add:
-all beans
-carrots
-tamari (soy sauce)
-worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until carrots are tender.

Enjoy!

0 comments: