BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Junk Food

I'm realizing that one of the first things that those who are beginning vegetarians or vegans do is run and look for every alternative to meat or dairy that they can find. I have bought a few meat alternatives that I keep in the freezer that I have in a pinch in case I need some quick protein. I really don't like the taste of most of them as they lack so much flavor. I tend to be of the mind to stay away from alternatives and realize that I don't need those things and I get plenty of what I need from everything that I eat. Speaking of yummy junk food, I love the Alexis onion and garlic oven crinkles. I'm writing about junk food because I am a victim of it and that vegan style junk food is just as bad as any other. Hehehe.
Last night was a dreaded night for me. It was the first time since becoming vegan that we had burritos on the menu for dinner (requested by my husband) I dread this because in my mind, burritos don't exist without cheese and sour cream (among many other tasty things) I made vegan burritos last night and HONESTLY didn't even miss the dairy(for me, the avacado worked well as something 'creamy')

Courtney's Burritos:

-One can of vegetarian refried beans (or any beans you like)
-Saute one whole onion with 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped (until soft)
-To the beans add the onion/garlic mixture and add a little salsa verde and freshly chopped cilantro.
(Spicing the beans up like this really makes them feel like a main part of the burritos rather than a side note)
-I also cooked the rice with vegetable stock and added cumin, corainder, a little bit of chili powder and fresh squeezed lime.
-In light oil, I sauteed 2 sweet bell peppers and an onion (cut into strips) with salt, pepper, lime and chili powder (saute until soft)

Inside the burritos was:
-Whole wheat (lard free) tortillas
-Yummy spiced beans
-Yummy spiced rice
-Lettuce
-Tomato
-Green onion
-Fresh chopped cilantro
-Squeeze of fresh lime
-Sauteed bell peppers and onions
-Sweet corn (defrosted from frozen)
-Avacado slices
-Salsa

0 comments: