BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, February 5, 2010

Literature

One of the first things I did when researching a vegan lifestyle was head to the library and take out every book on the subject I could find. At our local library (in our county) there aren't as many books on veganism as you would think. After reading through about 10 books on converting to veganism and about 30 cookbooks, I came up with a list of books that I love. For me it was a culmination of books I had read myself, reviews on books and recommended books from friends, all which I have read.
I want cookbooks with fresh, new ideas for cooking. I don't believe in mashed potatoes and pureed carrots over top to mock "gravy". I'm sorry, that just doesn't cut it for me. Simple is sometimes easy for people but I love cooking and I love full flavors and I most love being adventurous with my cooking. I love soups, salads, one pot meals and I cook curries and Thai food several times a week. Most Asian food is not only healthy, full of vegetables and healthy spices but it is often vegetarian/vegan or can easily be converted.
Here are a list of my favorite books and cookbooks and I would LOVE any suggestions you all might have to add to this list!

Cookbooks:
-World Vegetarian: More Than 650 Recipes From Around the World
by: Madhur Jaffrey
-Veganomicon (a must)
by: Moskowitz and Romero
-The Moosewood Restaurant Cooking For Health: More Than 200 New Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes
by: The Moosewood Collective
-Vegan With a Vengence
by: Isa Chandra Moskowitz
-Vegan Lunch Box: 130 Amazing, Animal-Free Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
by: Jennifer McCann
-The Voluptuous Vegan
by: Myra Kornfeld
-How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes For Great Food
by: Mark Bittman
-Vegan Planet
by: Robin Robertson
-The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
by: Mollie Katzen
-Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
by: Moskowitz and Romero

Literature on the subject of Veganism:

-Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant-Based Diet
by: Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina
-The Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Help Save Your World and Our World
by: John Robbins
-The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight and Saving the Planet
by: Alicia Silverstone
-Vegan Freak: Being Vegan in a Non-Vegan World
by: Bob Torres and Jenna Torres

Books I Love:

-The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals
by: Michael Pollan
-The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World
by: Michael Pollan
-In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
by: Michael Pollan
-Eating Animals
by: Jonathan Safron Foer

0 comments: